If you have a timeline imported from MS Project, you can update it effortlessly when the Project data changes using Office Timeline Online’s Sync feature. This guide will show you how it works.
You’ll read about:
Read the whole guide or use the links above to jump to the section you’re interested in. At the end of the guide, you’ll also find a useful Notes & Tips section you might want to check out.
A) Upload your Project data for syncing
Open the timeline imported from Project that you wish to synchronize and click the Sync button you’ll see in the top-right corner of the screen.
The Sync wizard will pop up, prompting you to upload the Project file you wish to synchronize with. As a quick reminder, right below the Browse button, you’ll also see the last file you used for importing into (or syncing with) your timeline.
Upload the desired file, and you’ll automatically be directed to the next step, “Select rows”.
B) Use filters to view what's relevant to you
In the “Select Rows” window, you will see a list of all data that has been updated compared to your current timeline, as well as a Status for each item, so you can get a clear overview of the updates.
You can filter by status what you see in the data list by clicking the little dropdown arrow on the “Status” column. These filters will affect only your current view, they have no impact on the final timeline.
C) Selecting the items to sync and what happens to them depending on status
After you’ve set up your filters to see exactly what you need in the sync list, you can easily select the items to accept for syncing by ticking the checkboxes in the leftmost column.
To move even faster, you can use the checkboxes above the data list to select or deselect whole groups of items depending on their status.
But speaking of statuses, let’s see what each of them means and what happens to it when syncing:
Overview of statuses
One or more of an item’s values (title, start date, end date etc.) differ in Project compared to your current timeline. We’ll show you both the timeline version and the Project version of said item (task/milestone), with the differences highlighted, so you can easily decide which version to keep.
- Select a Changed item to bring its Project version into your timeline when syncing.
- Deselect it to keep the values you currently have on your visual.
The task/milestone exists on your current timeline but was deleted from the Project file.
- Select a Deleted item to remove it from your timeline.
- Deselect it to ignore the deletion and keep the task/milestone on your timeline.
The item didn’t exist in Project the last time you imported (or synced with) the .mpp file.
- Select a New task or milestone to add it to your timeline.
- Deselect it to ignore it when syncing.
The item is already on your timeline and hasn’t suffered any changes since you last imported it.
- Select an Imported item to keep it on the timeline.
- Deselect it to remove it.
The item existed in the Project file the last time you imported or synced with it, but you didn’t bring it into the timeline.
- Select a Not Imported item to add it to the timeline.
- Deselect it to ignore when syncing.
The item is not importable (e.g. the title or start & end dates may be missing). To “fix” invalid items, go back to you Project file and double-check the task names and dates.
Once you’re done choosing the items to synchronize, click the green Finish button in the bottom right corner of the Sync wizard, and that’s it - your timeline will instantly be updated.
Notes & tips
- You can use the Sync settings menu in the upper-right corner to choose whether you want to import 1-day tasks as milestones or choose to ignore title changes when syncing.
- To avoid confusion and possible data conflicts, only the timeline owner has the right to sync a shared timeline. While syncing is in progress, collaborators that may have the timeline open will be notified about it and asked to wait until it is over.
- Syncing goes one way only. It will update your online timeline to match the changes in your MS Project file. Office Timeline will not impact or change your original .mpp file in any way.