Welcome to Office Timeline Online - we're glad you're here! Office Timeline Online is a web-based graphical application that allows users to create beautiful timelines and Gantt charts in their browser and export them as PowerPoint slides or .png images. The following guide provides instructions and tips to get you started quickly.
Read the full guide to learn how to get the most out of the new feature or click on any of the links above to skip to the section you’re most interested in.
A) Start a new timeline
With Office Timeline Online, there are 3 ways to start your new timeline:
From the New tab in the web tool, click on Timeline from scratch to manually type in your data and customize your graphic.
Again from New, select one of the pre-designed templates provided within the application and update it with your data.
Go to the Import tab to import existing data from Excel and instantly turn it into a timeline.
Choosing one of these 3 options will take you to the next step. In our example, we will select Timeline from scratch.
B) Add or edit your data
After you click on the Create a new timeline from scratch button, you will be automatically directed to the Data View tab, which allows you to enter and edit milestones (M) or tasks (T). This is a very a good place to start playing with colors and shapes because all updates you make from the Data View are instantly displayed in a real-time thumbnail view of your timeline. Even though the Style Pane provides much greater styling options, you will want to begin customizing your timeline here. If you make any accidental changes, you can instantly correct them using Office Timeline's Undo and Redo functions. Once done, click on the Timeline View tab to generate your visual and start styling it.
- Pro Tip: Use keyboard shortcuts to move faster when adding or editing items in Data View. To see all shortcuts available, clicking on the Help (?) icon in the upper-right corner of the screen, next to the Account icon:
Note: Instant and Free users can insert or import maximum 10 rows of data. To build more detailed timelines, please upgrade to Plus.
C) Style your timeline
From the Timeline tab in Office Timeline Online, you can personalize every detail on your graphic using the Style Pane on the right side of the screen. This is where the real magic happens. Simply select any object on the graphic to open its styling options in the pane.
The Style Pane allows you to customize absolutely everything in multiple ways - from shapes, sizes, colors, and positions to texts, date formats, or the time scale. You can even add extras such as task duration, elapsed time, connectors or percent complete or hide dates and other details. Every object can be customized from the Style Pane, so you can get your timeline exactly how you want it.
- Use the Change Style button on the left sidebar to apply a template to any existing timeline and instantly change its overall design.
- The Timeline View is not only about customizing colors, shapes and other details on your chart. It also lets you quickly add, edit or remove data directly from your graphic, as well as include a logo, title and footnote on the slide.
D) Drag & drop everything
The timeline maker's Drag & Drop functionality allows users to adjust, reposition or even update almost anything on the timeline. Drag milestones and tasks to change their order, position, and size on the fly, or move them above or below the time scale.
You can also wrap titles and change their placement using drag & drop, or move the timeband vertically on the slide to find the perfect fit.
- Pro Tip: One of our favorite features is that you can instantly update your project plan or schedule right from your graphic. Simply drag your taskbars or milestone markers horizontally, and the tool will automatically change their dates on the timeline and update them in the Data tab as well.
E) Download as a PowerPoint slide or PNG image
Once you’ve finished styling your timeline, you can download it as a .png image or as a native .pptx slide that you can then edit in PowerPoint, include in presentations or share with colleagues. To do so, click the Download button on the left sidebar and select your desired file format.
Note: Only registered users can export their timeline as a PowerPoint slide. With a free account, you can download up to 5 PPT slides per month, while a Plus account gives you access to unlimited PowerPoint downloads.
F) Manage your timelines
Registered users can easily duplicate, delete or download visuals saved in their timeline gallery:
To quickly access the My Timelines gallery from your current graphic, click on the small Office Timeline logo in the top left corner of the screen.
Here, hover over any timeline, click on the small Options icon in the bottom-left corner, and choose whether you want to delete, duplicate, rename or download the graphic.
- Free registered users can save maximum 5 timelines in their online gallery. With a Plus Edition account, you can store as many visuals as you wish and access them quickly wherever you are.
- As a Plus user, you can recover any deleted timeline within 30 days after deletion. To do so, simply navigate to your Trash folder in Office Timeline Online, select the timeline (or timelines) you want to restore and then click the Restore button in the upper-right corner of the screen.
The steps and tips above should get you started quickly. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us by clicking the “Submit a ticket” button below. We will be more than happy to help.